Tuesday, April 03, 2007

She's just a girl who claims that I am the one

Starzoom - "Billie Jean (People Always Told Me)" [Dave Moureaux Remix] (Gusto Records)

The original mix of this is bordering on one of those overplayed house tracks where they take a sample and then loop it, e.g. the beatfreakz, Call On Me, the Baywatch theme, etc, but perhaps just about gets away with it, though Hi_tack(y) do try to drag it back down into the depths of hell with their mix.

Other than the mix I've gone for, perhaps the only other one worth talking about is the Robbie Long & Stormtrooper Remix, which is mainly a Techno with vocals that are just a bit too fast for my liking, but the stand out bits are the drum n bass style breakdowns. if the rest of the track were like that, it'd be played by me a lot more.

So, what we're left with is this Dave Moureaux Remix, which comes in two flavours, the Dub and the Vocal. It starts with some edits that sound like they've come straight out of the "Glitch VST" that I've played about with myself. Sometimes it can sound quite tacky, overused and detracts from the production (at least in some of my attempts!) but I think it fits this production really well. The bassline and synths remind me of a D.Ramirez mix, but as with yesterday's track, it's the stuttered filtered vocals that win me over, though it's not so over used that I feel the need to go for the Dub. In fact, that element of being familiar is quite key to this track being a big hit, in my opinion.

I've not been able to find any info about Starzoom or Dave Moureaux, but certainly a name to be keeping an eye out for in future.

As for Gusto, well, they've been behind a number of big chart crossovers in the last year or so, such as hi_tack's "Say Say Say", Filterfunk's "S.O.S. (Message in a bottle)", and Uniting Nations "Out of Touch" all featuring on their label recently, and this is a worthy addition.

Additionally, one that I don't think really made much impression on the charts at least, is Don Diablo's "Blow", which is well worth owning. Also, ILTT tip for 2007, rising star Christian Hoff does outstanding work in one remix of it. Worth having that as well, along with a lot of other productions by Hoff.

Related Links
Gusto Records official site
Gusto Records on Myspace


Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back A.

1:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home